Monday, June 9, 2014

My Date with CVille: Walking the Downtown Mall


My Date with CVille


Walking the Downtown Mall





Charlottesville's historic downtown mall provides the perfect opportunity to get away from grounds for good food, good shopping, and a good time. Yesterday I went to a restaurant called Bizou (which means kiss in French), Chaps Ice Cream, and a movie.


Bizou--like Hamilton's, Zocalo, and the Blue Light Grill--is a fantastic, foodie-inspired restaurant with a fun feel and indoor/outdoor layout perfect for Fall, Spring, and Summer. The bread plate appetizer had three fancy dipping sauces that I'm not sure I can pronounce (below left). Each one was great. For the entree, I had shrimp and grits with mushrooms, veggies, and more (below right). Best shrimp and grits I've ever had.



Chap's may be a little more casual than Bizou, but it's a cornerstone of Charlottesville's ice cream community. With frozen yogurt places like Berry Berry, SweetFrog, Cups, and Spoon & Berry popping up all around Charlottesville, it's great to sometimes grab a single scoop of German chocolate cake ice cream on a waffle cone for a change.

Finally, I went to the movies. I would've explored the downtown mall's Regal Cinemas, but the indie-based establishment unfortunately wasn't playing The Fault in Our Stars. Still, I highly recommend paying a visit and completing the downtown mall experience. Also, check out countless shops for used books (Blue Whale Books), bow ties (The Young Men's Shop), and more!

Go for the food, the ice cream, the shopping, the movies, the walking, or the street vendors. Go with your significant other, your friends, or your family. Just don't miss the downtown mall if you're in Charlottesville!

Cost
-Bizou: ~$20/person
-Chap's: ~$5/person
-Regal: $11/ticket


Transportation
Just a ten minute free trolley ride from the Lawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment