Monday, July 14, 2014

Office Hours: Professor Archie Holmes


Office Hours


Professor Archie Holmes


BChelsea Marcelin


Professor Archie Holmes is a professor in the Engineering School here at the University, specifically in the SEAS/Electrical and Computer Engineering programs. He has been with the University for 7.5 years now! When he isn't hanging around the E-School, Professor Holmes spends him time navigating his way around the kitchen! When he has the time, he loves to cook!



Want to learn more about Professor Holmes? Let’s hear what she has to say about his experiences as a professor at UVA:
How you became involved in your field:
The way I tell the story, I was “tricked” into my field.  In 8thgrade, I was introduced to an early portable computer that was the size of a briefcase.  I was fascinated.  My father told me that only engineers got to work with computers (which, to be fair, was probably true at the time), so that was the path I set for myself.  Turns out that a number of courses and summer internship later, I know that this was the best choice for me."


Favorite thing about UVa:
"A strong engineering school that is housed in a university with a strong liberal arts tradition"

Funny Story/Memory from a class:
"On the first day of class each year, my class and I have a discussion about expectation.  Clearly I have some for them, but I feel that it is important for us to also have a discussion about what they expect of me and that I live up to that (assuming that the expectation is reasonable).  Without fail, I get the request that I make them laugh each class (hard to do in an engineering classroom sometimes).  We always have a discussion about what qualifies.  For me, I want it to be my wry sense of humor, but the students want it to be much more formal (i.e., an obviously funny joke).  One day I will meet this expectation!"


Want to take a class with Professor Holmes? He is well known in the E-School for teaching Introduction to Engineering and Introductory Circuit Analysis! Check him out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment