Wednesday, September 23, 2009

An intro to Shelby

Hey guys,
Thanks for checking out the HooStories blog. I’m so excited that you’re interested in UVa. I can hardly believe that it’s been a year since I was in your shoes. Pinch me!
My name is Shelby and I’m a first-year from Houston in the great state of Texas. As much as I love Texas though, the state of Virginia, in particular, this University, have been so wonderful to me. My first month here has been an absolute whirlwind. I’ve gotten involved in everything from volunteer tutoring to a Christian fellowship to writing for this blog and plenty of things in between. And then there’s school of course…
Right now I’m taking several of the pre-requisites for the McIntire School of Commerce (Comm School) so that I can apply to it during my second year, but I’m also hoping to get another major in Business Ethics/Religious Studies through the Echols Interdisciplinary Majors Program, all of that is subject to change though. Even four weeks in UVa has presented me with some really great opportunities that I never imagined I’d have.
To all of you potential out-of-staters, don’t for a second worry about coming in here alone and not finding friends. In high school, I had 3 best friends and we all went to different schools. I thought it was going to kill me and that I’d never find friends like Mish, Maris, and Joobs (nicknames) here. But, surprisingly, I was quite off the mark on that one. College has a way of leading you into great friendships right from the outset (although I definitely do still miss my high school friends). Below is a picture of me and some new friends before the first football game!

Anyways, this blog will be where I’ll report on various things here at UVa, mostly my experiences here. So expect to read about anything: school, friends, family, faith, clubs, events, parties---it’s all fair game. Have a great week guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment