Friday, September 25, 2009

Hi, I don't believe we've met; I'm Judy


Welcome to the HooStories blog! If you’re reading this, I hope it’s because you’re interested in/you already adore UVa; if this isn’t the case, feel free to continue perusing anyway, but just know, we all pretty much love this place, and that fact will make itself very apparent, very soon. Either way, I hope you enjoy reading about our thoughts, experiences, and lives as students here in Charlottesville!

My name is Judy, and I’m a third year here at Mr. Jefferson’s University, currently studying foreign affairs and art history. I’m originally from Glen Allen, Virginia, but usually, when people ask, I just say Richmond; I’ve learned that this is much easier than having to explain “well, it’s not exactly in the city, technically it’s considered part of the suburbs…” only to be met by bored stares.

Anyway, so, when I started the process of applying for colleges, I have to admit, UVa wasn’t even on my list of possibilities – my heart was set on going out-of-state since… well, since forever. But, as it happened, I impulsively applied ‘early decision’ (which we sadly no longer do) and got in. To this day, I count it among the best decisions of my life.
These days, it’s hard to believe that my undergrad experience as a Wahoo is more than halfway over, but all that I’ve done and everything I’ve learned in the last two years has been more than rewarding – and yet, somehow, I’m always finding new things to love about this university.


My most recent preoccupation involving UVa that I absolutely cannot stop raving about is the Semester at Sea study abroad program we offer. I chose to go this past summer, and really, this program is honestly the absolute best of its kind. Not only did it give me the best summer of my life (who could really dislike travelling to 10 countries in 67 days), but I was also able to forge friendships that will never disappear, as cliché as it sounds. Then again though, that’s how I feel like my entire experience at UVa has been – filled with the best kinds of people you would ever care to meet.
So, on top of the academic, historical and overall wonderful aspects that choosing UVa will inevitably provide, there is no other place on earth where you will be able to find friendships like the kind made between fellow cavaliers… not that I’m biased or anything. :)

That’ll do it for this post, but I’ll be putting new posts up periodically, so feel free to check the blog every now and again. Until then, definitely don’t hesitate to email me with any question, concern, or inappropriate joke you might have.

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment