Friday, April 16, 2010

great school, great town


So, I’m a bit late on the congratulatory remarks, but congratulations, anyway, class of 2014!
I’m sure that, by now, we’ve made it abundantly clear to you all that there’s always something to do on grounds at UVa, from our completely student run organizations to our abundance of clubs, there’s something for everyone.  Sometimes though, with all that goes on, it’s easy to forget that Charlottesville itself, apart from the University, is unique in what it has to offer.  The other week, I had friends come visit from out of town for a few days, and it gave me the opportunity to experience Charlottesville through the eyes of an awed visitor, rather than through the eyes of a native Virginian.

Surprisingly, it was an amazing time.  In a four-day period, we hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail, enjoyed the view from Skyline Drive, toured Monticello (and Ash Lawn-Highland… and Michie Tavern), vineyard-hopped for wine tasting, and, all in all, explored Charlottesville from the ground up.  By the end of it, not only did I find myself developing a newfound appreciation for this little city that UVa is nestled into, but I realized that there is so much here that students are simply not taking advantage of – all in all, what I’m trying to say is, once you’re here, be sure to explore Charlottesville in its entirety; you won’t be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment