Monday, June 22, 2009

summer work and fun!

There are so many opportunities to get involved at the University of Virginia. As I mentioned earlier, I decided to spend my summer giving tours of the grounds to prospective students and their families rather than hanging out at home with my friends. Nevertheless, my job through the admissions office here at UVA has proven to be more fun than I could have ever imagined it would be. I absolutely love speaking with students who are on their college-searching tours throughout the nation, as well as their parents – not to mention, I even get a little jealous sometimes because as a prospective student, they’re about to embark on the greatest four years of their lives, especially if they choose to do so here at UVA.

I have learned that every day for me here in the admissions office and giving tours, is a new adventure. Regardless of the fact that it may be 90 degrees outside, 90% humidity, it’s always important to know that even though I may be giving my 40th tour of the summer, it’s going to be someone else’s first tour. It’s really important to keep this mind, and by doing so, each tour I give is more fun, more exciting, and more energetic than the last!

A lot of students decide to stay on grounds for the summer. Sometimes it’s because they’re taking classes throughout one of our three summer sessions, and other students just opt to stay in town because they’re paying rent, their friends are here, and they just want to have a relaxed time hanging here in Cville. There are so many fun things to do here in town – tubing down the James River, hanging out on the university’s lawn, camping or hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains, shopping, movies – just to name a few!

Regardless of what students end up doing here in town, summer is guaranteed to be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment