Monday, June 4, 2018

Meet the Interns: Meet Zach!

This week and next, we'll be posting a daily introduction to each of our fabulous Office of Admissions interns. These folks will be leading admissions tours this summer and are thrilled to meet & help prospective Hoos, both in-person and online. Please reach out to any or all of us with questions! We hope to see you on Grounds soon.

Hey!

I’m Zach, and I’m a rising fourth year here at UVA. It’s hard for me to believe, but I do indeed have only one year left. In my blog posts, I hope to impart my three years of rich wisdom upon you, Prospective Student, helping you navigate this wacky place and make fewer foolish mistakes than I did.

Stay tuned for posts about the New Curriculum, life in the College of Arts & Sciences, interdisciplinary majors, the Fralin art museum, UBikes, the music scene at UVA, Tom Tom Festival, on-Grounds housing after first year, just to name a few. If there’s a topic you want me to cover, send me an email at schauff@virginia.edu – I’m guessing that almost no one will do this, so if you email me an idea there’s a high chance I’ll write about it. ;)

But first, here’s a visual history of my time at UVA so you have some sense of who’s giving you this sage advice.

Pre-UVA
For context, this is what we were working with.
Image may contain: 2 people, including Zach Schauffler

Nowhere to glo but up.




First Year
In August, I arrived at UVA as a fresh-faced fool. By November, I was a fresh-faced fool in a suit.
Image may contain: 3 people, including Zach Schauffler
Me, on right.

This photo was from an annual event called the Colonnade Ball. Please note the cast on my wrist– in September, I fractured my wrist when I tripped and fell over a cornhole board.

By the end of the year, I was doing things I had never dreamed of, such as competing in a beauty pageant.
Image may contain: 2 people

I repped my dorm building and stunted on the competition, singing an acoustic Fetty Wap cover for the talent show portion. In the end, I wasn’t crowned as Mr. 2019, but at least I got to show off my velcro New Balances on stage.

Second Year
Over the course of the year, I planned and led an Alternative Spring Break trip to Anza Borrego Desert in California. Despite the extensive training, I still thought it would be an okay idea to not bring a sleeping bag for the week.
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

Here I am, adorned in all the layers I needed to survive the nights.

Also, throughout the year, I grew out my hair until this happened.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, eyeglasses and closeup

Third Year

I found love.
Image may contain: Zach Schauffler, smiling, eyeglasses

And now, here I am, bathed in the maroon light of seniority, ready to give some admissions tours and hopefully inspire some new folks to come to UVA.

There’s a whole lot of my UVA experience that isn’t pictured here. With a wide range of experience in my classes and extracurriculars, I do actually have broad knowledge & expertise to share. If you have any questions at all, please hit me up at schauff@virginia.edu – I’d love to chat!

Yours,
Zach Schauffler

No comments:

Post a Comment