Thursday, May 29, 2014

Hear Us Shout & Roar: My First UVA Football Game



Hear Us Shout & Roar


My First UVA Football Game






Growing up I went to nearly every Alabama football home game that I could. Naturally, coming to Virginia I was initially apprehensive about our football team 'cause, to me, nothing could live up to the fanfare and excitement that an Alabama football game had. Turns out, this expectation was largely proven correct. Don’t get me wrong, UVA’s football games have their own creative traditions and features, but over the years I had grown too spoiled to Roll Tide and in all honesty – to winning.

That being said, UVA’s football team has its own advantages. The mood of the student body does not change with a win or a loss. We can fill the hill in our Sunday best and the good old song after every score is great (even if we do not sing it often). But what makes UVA’s football more entertaining than Alabama is that winning is not expected. That makes every win that much more enjoyable and exhilarating. Take for instance, the first game of the 2013 football season, UVA vs. BYU. It was my first ever UVA football game and I was excited to see what the atmosphere was like. Learning the new chants, hand motions, and traditions was a bit of an adjustment, but I slowly got a hold of them. Then to add to the excitement, there was a close to two-hour rain delay. The game was close throughout, but at the very end UVA was able to pull out a late touchdown to win the game. Rain drenched and belting the good old song was by far one of the best experiences of my first year at UVA.

Be sure not to miss the experience!


2014 Football Schedule: Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment