Monday, October 11, 2010

Why Did I Choose UVA?

Hey everyone! Just a little bit to introduce myself - I'm Mike Howe, from Earlysville, VA (a small town outside of Charlottesville). I'm a second year in the College of Arts and Sciences, double majoring in Computer Science and Economics. Outside of classes, I enjoy being involved in the Greek scene at UVA through my fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi, and I also participate in Admissions Chats for prospective students. In my spare time I enjoy doing anything outdoors, especially swimming and hiking.

Anyways, onto the topic of my post:  why I chose UVA.

The Academics:  I knew that I wanted an academically challenging school, where I could expect to work hard.  UVA is just that - students push themselves, and take their work seriously.  It's competitive, but not overwhelming.

The Value:  Being in-state, UVA offered a great value over the out-of-state schools I was looking at. Even for those who are out-of-state, UVA is often less expensive to attend in comparison to other similar schools.

The Activities:  UVA students are incredibly involved outside the classroom - we have literally hundreds of student-run clubs and groups.  There's a club for almost anything, from a capella groups to brewing societies.

The Size:  I knew I wanted somewhere that was big, and where I could constantly meet new people.  At the same time, I didn't want a school that was so large that I felt like I knew no one.  UVA has the perfect balance - it's large enough that you're always seeing new people, but you still see familiar faces everywhere you go.

The Setting:  UVA has a beautiful campus - the pictures in this post don't do the setting justice.  The weather in Charlottesville is fairly moderate, not too hot and not too cold.  Being right by the Blue Ridge Mountains offers many opportunities for hiking and other outdoor activities.











A view of the rooms on the Lawn, right by the Rotunda







Serpentine walls by the gardens









I'm extremely happy here, and I'm positive that I made the right choice.  If you're considering UVA you should definitely come to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment