Friday, October 22, 2010

Hey Readers!
I hope everyone is having a great October and enjoying the fall season (only nine more days till Halloween!). Fall is my personal favorite: the colors, the weather, the fashion, the holidays. Honestly, it wasn’t until I came to UVa when I realized that. Pictures don't do this school justice.

On another note, I’m sure all you seniors out there must be stressing – college applications, essays, recommendations, and SATs on top of schoolwork and extracurriculars. Breathe, stretch, shake, and don’t forget to enjoy your last year!

I remember like it was yesterday when I clicked enter on the Common App - actually, no - scratch that, I’d rather not remember all of the long sleepless nights of editing my essays and trying to overcome “Senioritis”. But I’ll tell you one thing for sure – it’s all worth it in the end. Trust me.

Here I am now – a second-year student at the College of Arts and Sciences. I’m potentially double majoring in Biology and Art History (I know, two completely different things) and am considering medical school.
Blue-Orange man and Me at the first home football game (Totally new experience since my high school never had a football team!) We won. (P.S. Do you see the large expanse of orange behind us?.. That's just the tip of the iceberg.)
I’m originally from a city right across Manhattan, so if any out-of-staters have questions, shoot me an email! I live off campus and am involved with the UNICEF club here, volunteering at the hospital, researching at a Lab, and writing for the Cavalier Daily. I’m currently training to become an Honor Educator. As you can see, I love keeping myself busy and I assure you, you’ll find something you love, here at UVa, too. Second year is pretty challenging (thank you, Organic Chemistry) but it’s going.

There’s a lot I could write about in my first post – from why I chose to come to UVa to the place where students spend most of the time during exams, the libraries. However, I’ll talk a little about what has been keeping me busy. There is a tradition that is celebrated on the lawn every year – it is called “Trick or Treat on the Lawn” where children and parents from the local Charlottesville community come to … trick or treat. This year, UNICEF is hosting it’s annual Trick-or-Treat festival in the amphitheater at the same time right next to the Lawn, and we’ll be featuring a mix of recreational, competitions and performances by UVa student groups to raise funds for UNICEF's work for children around the world. As the Outreach Chair, I have been busy contacting different organizations around Grounds asking to participate (eg. acapella groups, service clubs, etc.) It’s going pretty well so far and I’m excited for how it turns out – a little more than a week left! Maybe, in my next post, I’ll be able to upload some pictures and videos of it to show you how it went!





Pie-eating contest at
UNICEF's T-O-T Festival last year



Until next time.
Surbs
P.S. Happy (early) Halloween!!


No comments:

Post a Comment