Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Feel Like a Kid Again

Through all the stresses and activities of college life, there is a mandatory need to get away from it all every once in a while to stay sane. My weekly escape has been to volunteer at Wesley Community Day Care Center.




The Day Care program is one of 19 volunteer programs run through Madison House, our one stop shop for volunteering in the community. Wesley is one of 7 local daycares where students can volunteer. I volunteer about 2 hours a week in the Transition Room, playing with kids ages 1-2. The most rewarding aspect about the experience is having the two hours to spend with youngsters to just unwind from the stresses as a college student where you’re balancing classes with outside activities, all on top of making sure you figure out what you want to do with your life! These two hours are precious as the kids come up with interesting conversations and never seem to lose energy. Just the other day, I was having a "conversation" with a kid in the playground around a certain tree. He told me that he wanted to buy a chainsaw with the money that he has saved up so far to cut down the tree. Therefore, I ask him how much money he had saved up and he told me $2. I said he might need to save up a couple more dollars before he could buy one and then he tells me that he doesn't want to cut it down anymore: he wants to climb it!

If there is anything that I have gained from my time at the daycare, it is that kids do say the darnest things.

Picture from Madison House's Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment