Friday, November 13, 2009

The Taste of Charlottesville


In hopes of not looking too much like a copycat, I’m going to continue with Nicolas’ discussion of food because it is so UNBELIEVABLY good here in Charlottesville! Right now I’m sitting in the Fine Arts café, a delicious organic restaurant on Grounds, but that is ONLY the beginning.


Last night, the Alumni Association hosted an event for all students called the Taste of Charlottesville [see below for my lackluster attempt at taking pictures]. Restaurants from all over Charlottesville came to share their specialties with the free-meal minded student community. Although the lines were long, I was able to snag a small sandwich from Take It Away, a fajita from Baja Bean, cheesecake from the Melting Pot, and some bread pudding from a local French place. Yes, I know what you’re thinking…that’s a whole lot of food. While that may be true, free food must be consumed in abundance when you’re a college kid on a tight budget. Fortunately, the Alumni Association makes this relatively easy. They host various dining events such as Taste and First Year Food Fest throughout the year.






Since most of the bloggers on this are upperclassmen, I don’t think anyone has talked yet about the dining halls/meal plans here on Grounds [which you are required to have as a first-year]. The food here is actually really good and there are so many options [I promise not saying this to sell UVa, I really do think the food here is great]. At any given time of the day you can choose from delicious stir-fry, chicken, steak, deli sandwiches, pizza, fresh salads, soups, and a plethora of desserts. A particular favorite of mine is the Saturday/Sunday brunch served at the Observatory Hill dining hall right by my dorm, Maupin. The food is unreal, especially the omelet bar and the multi-grain pancakes. I’m making myself hungry just thinking about it. Good thing tomorrow is Saturday!

A few other random things I want to share for my post this month..
1. A. If you’re thinking about coming to visit, right now would be an excellent time. Grounds, until Thanksgiving, is really peaceful, a calm before the storm of finals I think. It’s also getting fairly cold and I think it’s good to come up and experience that if you’re from the South. I came up here during November of last year and that trip was very influential in my decision to come to UVa.
2. B. If you’re interested in either the Jefferson Scholars program [I believe that the application deadline for this year has passed already] or the Echols Scholars program, please feel free to email me if you have any questions (shelby.sutton@gmail.com). I’m involved with both programs and would be happy to dish out advice/answer questions for those of you interested. I’ll probably do a post on those programs in the coming months, as selection time grows nearer.
3. I hope all of you are having a wonderful start to the holiday season & that college apps (for those of you seniors) are finishing up nicely! Really, please email me if you have any questions. I was JUST in your shoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment