Monday, November 4, 2013

UVA and Study Abroad


My name is Ella Borkowski and I am a third-year Echols Scholar double majoring in Linguistics and Foreign Affairs. I am an out-of-state student and hail from Connecticut. Outside of classes, I am the Vice-President of UN Women at UVA, a Language Consultant for VISAS and an avid traveler.
One of my favorite things about UVA is the flexibility UVA allows its students, especially in its study abroad programs. UVA directly offers programs for direct credit during the fall semester, spring semester, summer term and January-term. When I applied to colleges, I knew that studying abroad was something I was really interested in. After doing some research and looking on the International Study Office’s website, I applied and was accepted to the UVA in Lyon Summer 2013 program, and it was one of the best experiences I have had at UVA.  

While every study abroad is different, mine was a language intensive program in French, in Lyon, France.  I spent 6 weeks taking two upper level French courses while immersing myself in French culture and traveling around France. Below is a picture of Grenoble, France.
               
  I was able to experience French cuisine, and culture. I studied in Lyon, which is the gastronomic capital of France.  It was a very different, and life changing experience.
         

Overall, it was incredibly rewarding and I really improved my French! As a major in linguistics, I am really passionate about language and language learning. For me a program that allowed me to improve my French fluency was perfect.  I should note that UVA offers programs that are taught in English.  Whether you choose to study abroad or not, UVA offers a lot of flexibility and options. There are many resources available on Grounds to help you decide when and where to study abroad. Studying abroad is accessible for any UVA student. Bon voyage!
   
           



1 comment:

  1. My name is Ella Borkowski and I am a third-year Echols Scholar double majoring in Linguistics and Foreign Affairs. I am an out-of-state student and hail from Connecticut. custom case study writing services

    ReplyDelete