Friday, June 4, 2010

What to do after graduation? Reminisce, of course!

 It's that time after graduation when you have nothing to do but apply to jobs and reminisce about a time when everything was planned out for you in advance. I always knew I would be going to college, taking a year off was not even an option (I did not even know people did that until senior year in high school). And so, my four years at U.Va. are finished. No more classes, no more homework, no more tests, no more easy decisions. Now I have to find a way to support myself, figure out the future, find my own niche in the world, discover something new, and everything else that goes with "growing up." As a way to remember my years at this wonderful University, here are a couple of questions I answered just to make it easier to understand. Enjoy!

Why did you even look at U.Va. and what drew you to the school?
    I found a picture of the Lawn and the Rotunda in 10th grade and fell in love.

What was the first-year experience like?
    During my first semester I took 13 credits, studied and didn’t really do much else. I didn’t even meet that many new people. My second semester I signed up for 15 credits, joined Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Incorporated, and transferred from a Commerce direction to the School of Architecture to major in Urban and Environmental Planning. It took a while to get to know the Grounds and feel comfortable with the place but after a rocky first year I had no troubles at all.

What one activity has been the most meaningful and why?
    Two activities: my sorority and Residence Life. In my sorority, I met a great group of women and learned more about myself than I could have in any other club or organization. As the only multicultural sorority on Grounds the women who join are dedicated to diversity and are leaders in everything that they do. As a Resident Advisor, I met people with interested quite different from my own, learned to interact with them, and create an amazing living environment. These two activities influenced my University years so much that I sometimes wonder what my life here would have been like if I hadn’t joined one (or either).

What is your favorite memory from your time at Virginia?
    On the day of Foxfield, my third year, a couple of my friends and I decided to do nothing (i.e. lie on the lawn the entire day and do absolutely nothing) and it was everything we thought it could be. Yes, that’s an “Office Space” reference.

What’s next?
    I am looking for a job that might help me figure out what I want to do in life. Looking for a job is not easy but all you need is determination and patience. And as my dad always says: things will work out somehow and there's no need for worry as long as you put in the effort.

Sum up your U.Va. experience in one word.
    Multidimensional.

Best. Photograph. Ever.

 If I had to give advice to future students, it would be this: take advantage of the opportunities you have at the University. Seriously, you will never again have the same options. Meet new people, try new hobbies/activities, go out and explore the area. And don't let the future hold you back because you are only young once. Good luck! Go forth and discover!

No comments:

Post a Comment