Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Disclaimer of Sorts


So here's my plan for this week: each day there will be a new post in a mini series about things I've learned while studying at another school. While I do not plan to name the school I'm at currently, I do want to assure people that it is a fantastic institution and one I'm highly considering for graduate school. My comparison of the two schools is in no way intended to vilify or promote one or the other; I simply want to record differences and occasional commentary.


The nature of my visit is quite simple: I joined an extraordinary research lab group and have been using a host of molecular techniques to study viruses. Frankly, I've fallen in love with the lab. The people are not only extremely bright, thought provoking, and helpful, but they're also very welcoming and easy to get along with. For anyone considering graduate school, certainly I would recommend REUs (Research Experience for Undergraduates). You get an open view of what life would be like at your host school. You also get a fairly good idea of whether or not you'd like the field you're working in eight or nine hours a day.

Even though the program isn't over, I can safely say that this experience will be one of my favorites for all of college.
Even the lovely snow can't compare to the fun I'm having where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment