- LOCATION, location, location. Greenberry’s is located in Alderman library, which is centrally located with regard to the University. For the vast majority of students, it’s the closest in proximity to both classes and housing.
- Plus Dollars! This Greenberry’s location accepts Plus Dollars, which come with the meal plans offered by the university. READ: you don’t have to spend real money.
- Study Spaces. Greenberry’s is located right in the lobby of Alderman- perfect for socializing, group projects, etc. Additionally, there are silent spaces throughout the building for serious studying. There’s no need to procrastinate studying by leaving the library to grab a coffee.
- Friendly Employees. If you find yourself a regular at Alderman (which many do, especially during finals) many of the employees will get to know you, make conversation, and remember your order.
- Hours. This location is open during most library hours, and even stays open late during finals.
that students often frequent. Firstly, students can hop on the Charlottesville free trolley or
walk to the Downtown Mall, which is a outdoor pedestrian mall located about a mile from
Grounds, to grab a café drink or a pastry while exploring downtown. Often time, students
will travel out to Mudhouse as a good way to get away from Grounds or from any
distractions so that they can focus on work and studying in a different setting than what
they are accustomed to. Students also travel out to the Mudhouse in Crozet, a small town
about 15 minutes from Charlottesville, to study or to grab a cup of coffee after going on a
sunrise hike at Humpback Rock or any of the other Blue Ridge Mountains. Mudhouse offers
a variety of drinks and food options and is a very common place for students to travel to when exploring Charlottesville
- Connor Andrews
4. Starbucks (On-grounds location Nau-Gibson)
This is a great coffee shop for UVA students since it is on grounds, conveniently located in Nau-Gibson Hall where many politics and history classes are and its only a few minutes from the Lawn. Even more important than its convenience, it's location on grounds means they take plus dollars as payment! This is also a great place to study because Nau-Gibson has many seats and tables just outside the Starbucks, along with the seating inside the Starbucks itself. Professors and TAs (Teaching Assistants) will often take advantage of these and have office hours close to the Starbucks. The employees at Starbucks are great and are always a pleasure to chat with in between classes while you stop for a quick coffee fix!
- Erik Morlock
5. Starbucks (The Corner location):
While Charlottesville offers a multitude of different coffee houses to try out, my favorite has to be the classic (and non-UVA specific) Starbucks. Located on the Corner, the Starbucks is surrounded by a variety of other shops and eateries as well—it isn’t uncommon for students to grab a Starbucks coffee and then head right next door to Bodo’s Bagels for a bite to eat.
Not only is the Starbucks a great place to stop if you’re in a hurry, but they also have lovely upstairs area for dining inside. With free Wi-Fi, comfy chairs, and numerous outlets, it’s no wonder that many students flock to this area during finals week. The nice ambient music is conductive to all situations, from studying for a test to catching up with an old friend.
I struggle to make a recommendation only because of the plethora of different options, each of which is pretty good (believe me—I’ve tried them all)! On a hot summer day, I highly recommend the Peach Green Tea Lemonade. If you want something caffeinated and sweet, try the new S’mores Frappuccino. And of course, the classic Caffè Mocha is a great way to warm up on a cold winter morning. If you feel like going on an adventure, Starbucks also has a “secret menu”, a fan-created list of various Starbucks drinks you can custom order—I have yet to try any out, but they all look scrumptious.
From classic favorites to novel recipes, the Starbucks on the Corner is a great way to satisfy that coffee need for any “Starbucks lover”, Taylor Swift fan or otherwise.
- Catherine Pollack