Wednesday, August 15, 2012


Hey guys my name is Phillip and I’m a rising 3rd year at UVA Majoring in Government and Minoring in Drama. Since I’m minoring in Drama and the majority of my life outside of the classroom revolves around theatre, I’ve been asked to write a Blog Post about the Arts at UVA.  This blog post is a long time coming. I was supposed to post it back in July or perhaps June, I don’t know. I must admit at first I was overwhelmed because there is so much to write about. Every time I began writing I didn’t know what to include or I felt like I was including too much.  I believe the best way to talk about UVArts is through my first year experience.
I’ve been doing musicals since the 4th grade. Upon entering UVA I knew I wanted to continue my passion. Unfortunately the UVA Drama Department conducts auditions the semester prior to the show’s official run. Therefore entering first years usually don’t have the opportunity to do theater in the Drama department their first semester. First Year Players (FYP) was created to help First Year students get their foot in the stage door of the arts.  FYP is a musical theater organization lead by students for students. Each semester FYP mounts a new musical that is directed, choreographed, and musically directed by upperclassmen.  The catch is only first years can be in the actually productions.
First Year Players shaped my first year at UVA. I was in two shows Carousel and RENT. Below are pictures of me with my two casts.  Once your first year is over the fun doesn’t stop. You can be apart of FYP in a leadership role. Last semester I was Assistant Director for How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying and that experience was just as rewarding as being in the cast. FYP creates an extensive network of friends that you can socialize with for four years. We party together, go to the beach together, camp together, and put on top-notch musicals together which solidifies our friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment