Friday, November 5, 2010

V Magazine

Welcome future wahoos! I’m so happy you have stumbled upon our blog so that we can give you a glimpse of what life at The University is all about! I think my fellow bloggers will agree with me when I say UVA is a magical place. There’s something here for everyone, and it is impossible not to fall in love with Mr. Jefferson’s school. I know I have!

A quick introduction: my name is Ellen Haick, and I am a second-year completely undecided about my major (on most days I fluctuate between English, economics, and religious studies- today I am determined to do it all!). I am a Southern girl, born and bred, hailing from Jackson, Mississippi. Moving to Virginia was quite the transition, but has been an experience I wouldn’t trade for the world. There’s nothing like playing in your first real snow (see the picture of two Southern girls trying to master the art of snowball fights), attending your first field hockey game, or realizing that Nova is actually an area of Virginia, not another state that you somehow missed in your second grade geography class. UVA has become an essential part of who I am. Outside of classes, I am involved with Reformed University Fellowship (RUF), my sorority, volunteer tutoring through Madison House, and copy-editing for V Magazine. Charlottesville and UVA has so much to offer, I feel like I discover something new everyday!


One of the best organizations I have joined is the wonderful staff of V Magazine. V Mag is just one of UVA’s many awesome publications. We strive to bring fashion and culture to the university, covering everything from events on-grounds to little known attractions throughout Charlottesville. Check out these shots of last issue’s cover.


In my opinion, the coolest thing about the magazine is that, like most organizations on-grounds, it is entirely student run. Our staff, writers, photographers, and models, are all members of a very talented student body. Once a week, we all get together to touch base and make sure the publication runs on schedule, and to enjoy pizza and each other’s company and creativity. My job as copy editor allows me to interact with all the writers and be a part of marketing the magazine to the rest of the school. I love putting the finishing touches on great pieces and seeing all our hard work come together. I feel truly blessed to be a part of such a wonderful and creative organization.


Next time you are near grounds, look for our upcoming issue! Stay up to date with our newly launched Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/V-Magazine/132469706798597?ref=ts). V Magazine embodies a diverse and inspiring student body- a student body I hope you prospective students will one day join!

No comments:

Post a Comment