Monday, May 25, 2020

Health and Wellbeing: Resources + My Experience

In this time of stress and uncertainty due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I think it’s important that prospective students know about health and wellbeing resources the University provides. Personally, I think UVA does an incredible job providing and publicizing these resources; I’ll cover some of the ones that I have found helpful during my first year.


When I was in your shoes as a junior and senior in high school, I was often very stressed and anxious. I put a lot of pressure on myself to strive for perfection, and often found myself worn down after long days of classes, extracurriculars, and long hours of homework. Upon coming to UVA, I was definitely nervous about how I was going to manage my anxiety in college. When I started feeling anxious, one of the first people I turned to was my Resident Advisor (RA). My RA told me about UVA’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), which provides free mental health services to all students. She explained to me how to set up an appointment: you call and arrange a mental health screening; then, clinicians set up an intake appointment and help organize a treatment plan that works for you. CAPS is small, so sometimes they will refer to therapists in the Charlottesville community if an individual has needs beyond their scope. Regardless, they make sure you are in good hands if you reach out to them.


Another resource that is being offered both on-grounds and remotely via telehealth is Wahoowell, a program that is designed to promote wellbeing. It is different from CAPS in that it is not therapy; rather, it is focused more on setting goals, exploring strengths, and improving stress management, sleep, decision-making and other skills. All students are welcome to participate in this free, confidential program.


Both CAPS and WahooWell are housed in the Elson Student Health Center, located just off central grounds, about a 10-15 minute walk from first-year dorms.


In addition to providing information on resources, my RA made an effort to just be a supportive friend, whether it was offering a hug or getting breakfast before classes. I knew she was someone I could turn to for advice on university life, from classes to clubs (and how to strike a balance!). RA’s work hard to provide a sense of community for their residents. One of the bonding activities my hall did in the beginning of the year was going to a free yoga class at the Aquatic and Fitness Center (AFC), one of UVA’s four gyms, which is located near the first-year residence areas. For me, exercise is one of the best forms of stress relief; I love running and doing yoga, as I find both clear my mind and make me more productive. The yoga class that my hallmates and I went to in the AFC was through UVA’s Contemplative Sciences Center, which provides free evening yoga classes to students, as well as other meditation and wellness resources. All UVA students can go to the recreation centers for free with their student ID, so if yoga is not your thing, you can easily go get a workout in at Memorial Gym (known colloquially as Mem Gym) or even go rock climbing at Slaughter Rec Center’s Climbing Center. We also have a plethora of intramural sports that are a great way to blow off steam with friends. The message here is if you want to exercise and have fun while doing it, UVA has so many opportunities to support you.


Students taking a yoga class in the AFC


More broadly, I feel like what makes UVA special is that our culture values balance. Even in my busiest, most stressful weeks at UVA, I’ve constantly been reminded by my friends and professors to take care of myself. When I need a study break, I can find friends to go eat a healthy and filling meal together in one of our dining halls. If I’ve been sitting in the library too long, I go to club running practice and join friends for a long run. When it’s a friend’s birthday or we just have some time on a Saturday, I’ll go with people to a restaurant or the farmer’s market on the Charlottesville downtown mall. I believe UVA is a place that encourages students to be well-rounded, flourishing individuals. It’s been challenging to leave this community so abruptly, but I’m already excited to return.

Students hanging out together on the Lawn: a common (and beautiful) place to meet, hangout, or throw a frisbee!


Despite the fact that UVA students are not currently on-grounds, CAPS and Wahoowell are continuing appointments via telehealth. Additionally, all students have access to SilverCloud, a confidential, online mental health resource for managing issues such as anxiety, depression, sleep, and stress. Students are also staying connected with friends, clubs, professors and advisors through Zoom/Facetime calls. I am sorry that you cannot come visit grounds in person right now, but trust me when I say that whether online or in-person, this community is supportive and resilient. I can’t wait to return to grounds and welcome all of you to it!


Happy Memorial Day, and stay healthy.




No comments:

Post a Comment