Monday, May 18, 2020

Meet the 2020 Summer Interns!

The Summer Interns are back! Learn a little bit more about us and our involvements at UVA, and stay tuned for our Instagram takeovers/posts (@uva_summer) as well as some awesome blog posts every Monday and Wednesday. 

MEET THE 2020 INTERNS: 

Abby Simmerman '21
Hi all! I’m Abby Simmerman (she/her/hers) and I’m a rising fourth-year from Leonardtown, MD. I am majoring in Media Studies with a concentration in Media Policy and Ethics in the College of Arts and Sciences. I am also minoring in Religious Studies with a concentration in Buddhism. After graduation, I am interested in working in advanced media law and policy. At UVa, I am involved in the University Guide Service, the Jefferson Literary and Debating Society, and I am the Public Relations Vice President in my sorority. UVa has given me the opportunity to go to really cool places across the country on leadership retreats and trips to meet companies looking for employees in Atlanta, Nashville, NYC, and more! I have been able to pursue incredible internships in my time at UVa, including working on two Congressional campaigns, spending the year as a Strategic Marketing Intern for Virginia Athletics, and now completing my second summer as an Admission Office Intern! Outside of UVa, I love exploring Charlottesville—especially the food—so much so that I have become an Elite level Yelper. Please feel free to reach out to me at ars4qj@virginia.edu with any questions about UVa, C’ville, or anything at all!


Ben Trombetta '22
Hi everyone! I’m Ben Trombetta (he/him/his), a rising third year from Pleasantville, New York, and I am so excited to connect with incoming and prospective students as an Admission Intern this summer! I’m a student in the College of Arts and Sciences, double majoring in Music and Political and Social Thought and minoring in Italian. I’m also an Echols and Miller Arts Scholar. During my first year at UVA, I joined the University Singers and Chamber Singers, as well as Arts Grounds Guides and Unsung People, a club dedicated to spreading kindness around the UVA and greater Charlottesville communities. I also was in the cast of First Year Players’ The Mystery of Edwin Drood and went on an Alternative Spring Break trip to Point Reyes National Seashore in California. After starting my second year, I joined the Academical Village People, an a cappella group, began volunteering with kindergarteners at a local Charlottesville elementary school through Madison House, and studied abroad for part of the spring semester in Siena, Italy. In addition to my classes and involvements at UVA, I love running, hiking in the Shenandoah National Park, and exploring new coffee shops and restaurants around Charlottesville with close friends! Feel free to send me an email at bst2zc@virginia.edu if you have any questions about life at UVA!


Isaiah Jenkins '22
My name is Isaiah Jenkins (he/him/his) and I am a rising 3rd-year Pre-Med student at the University of Virginia studying Sociology and African & African American Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences. I am originally from Danville, Virginia, a small town in southern Virginia. In my short time here at the University, UVA has become a home for me and a place that I can't imagine not being in my life. On Grounds, I am passionate and involved in numerous student organizations including the University Guide Service, the Black Student Alliance, and the Daniel-Hale Williams Pre-Health Society. This will be my second summer in Charlottesville and I am really excited to work with the Office of Admission once again. When I wasn’t in Charlottesville last summer, I spent a month hiking and kayaking the Alaskan wilderness. However, I spend most of my time exploring Charlottesville and all that it has to offer (mostly the food). Please feel free to email me at ihj5jm@virginina.edu if you have any questions or just want to chat!


Jada Wright '21
Hi everyone! My name is Jada Wright, and I’m a rising 4th year from Suffolk, Virginia. I’m a student in the College of Arts and Sciences and I’m majoring in English! Some things I’m involved in around Grounds are Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship, volunteering with Madison House by tutoring local elementary school kids, and the Outreach Student Admission Committee Advisory Board. I have also had the privilege of being a Resident Advisor for the past 2 years. Coming to UVA has been the best decision of my life, and I’m so excited to show you guys what makes UVA so amazing this summer! Please feel free to email me with questions about my major, involvements, or UVA in general: jnw3tr@virginia.edu. Wahoowa!


Julia Paraiso '22


Hey everyone! My name is Julia (she/her/hers) and I’m a rising third year from Richmond, Virginia. I’m a student in the College of Arts and Sciences majoring in Political Philosophy, Policy, and Law and minoring in Women, Gender, and Sexuality with a concentration in Gender. In my first year, I joined First Year Players (FYP), a musical theater organization meant to enhance the first year experience, and I also rushed a sorority within the Inter-Sorority Council (ISC) in the spring. I'm still super involved in both of these groups as I am currently the ISC representative for my sorority and I just finished up serving as the first Diversity and Inclusion Chair for FYP. This past year, I had the privilege of joining the University Guide Service to give tours to prospective students and families, and I also went on an Alternative Spring Break trip to the US-Mexico border.
Outside of my academics and involvements, I also love going to see movies at the Alamo with my friends, occasionally hiking Humpback Rock, studying with an iced chai tea latte in hand at Grit, and reading a good book on the Lawn. I’m so pumped to tell you guys all about my experiences at UVA over the next couple months! Feel free to email me with any questions you have about my major/minor, involvements, or anything else you want to know: jnp4dz@virginia.edu. Go hoos!





Kelley Long '21
Hi everyone! My name is Kelley Long (she/her/hers)— I’m a rising third year from Fredericksburg, Virginia studying Spanish and Anthropology with a concentration in culture and communication, planning to graduate early to complete my Master’s in Anthropology. I’ve been involved with research in the Anthropology department for the last two years, and some of my other favorite involvements around Grounds are the University Guide Service, which means I give admissions and historical tours of UVA, and LAMA. LAMA, or the Latinx and Migrant Aid program, is run through Madison House, UVA’s community service center, where we visit different locations and schools around Charlottesville to provide tutoring and other services to the area’s Latinx community. Madison House also has a ton of other really cool programs that help UVA students connect with and serve the larger Charlottesville community. I am so excited to (virtually) meet all of you! Please reach out with questions or anything you’d like to hear more about: kel6at@virginia.edu.





Leah McConnell '23

Hi! My name is Leah McConnell and I am a rising second year from Annapolis, MD. I’m currently in the College of Arts and Sciences, but I plan to apply to the Curry School of Education next spring in order to major in Speech Communication Disorders. As a member of the University Guide Service, I give admissions and historical tours at UVA. Another way that I connect with prospective UVA students and families is through the Admission Liaison Program’s Legacy Link which connects prospective UVA legacy students with current students like myself. I also am involved in Greek Life through the Inter-Sorority Council and am a member of Chi Omega. In my free time, I like to run with the UVA Club Running team, attend church and bible studies at Christ Episcopal Church in Charlottesville, and hangout with friends or do homework at libraries or in the
Center for Christian Study. I’m so excited to be a summer intern with UVA Admission and to provide you with virtual opportunities to get to know the University I call home! My email is lam2nvz@virginia.edu if you have questions or want to chat about my UVA experience!




Mia Bailey '22
Hi! I’m Mia Bailey (she/her/hers), a rising third year from Reston, Virginia. As an Admission Intern, I am so excited to spend my time this summer connecting with prospective students and sharing all of the things I love about UVA. I spent the past two years studying in the College of Arts and Sciences, and was recently admitted to the Frank Batten School of Public Policy and Leadership. I will of course be majoring in Public Policy and Leadership, while also double minoring in Sociology and African American Studies on a Pre-Law track. During my first year at UVA, I joined the Virginia Dance Company (if you are a dancer, AUDITION IN THE FALL!) In the Spring of my first year, I also participated in the Inter-Sorority Council’s recruitment process and joined a sorority — I have since left said sorority, but would still love to answer any questions surrounding Greek Life at UVA! During my second year, I joined the University Guide Service which has allowed me to give both historical and admissions tours for UVA. Some other involvements of mine are University Democrats, Sustained Dialogue, and volunteering at local Charlottesville elementary schools through Madison House. Outside of my academic interests and commitments, I have an extreme caffeine addiction and love visiting all of the local coffee shops in Charlottesville and of course grabbing AMAZING local Cville food with friends! Email me (meb8dh@virginia.edu) if you want to chat about LITERALLY ANYTHING UVA! 


Sam Nicholson '21
Hello! I’m Sam Nicholson (he/him/his), and I am a rising fourth-year from Chatham, Virginia. I am a part of an interdisciplinary major called Political Philosophy, Policy, & Law, and after I graduate I hope to pursue my masters in public policy. In my spare time, I give historical and admissions tours for UVa, and I’m also a member of the Chess Club, WXTJ student radio, and the Outdoors Club. This will be my second summer in Charlottesville, and I am truly excited about it. I have become pretty familiar with the area and I love hiking and climbing in many of the beautiful areas around the city. If any of that sounds relevant to you, please feel free to shoot me an email with any questions you have about UVa at sdn6jp@virginia.edu.


You-Jin Yeo '21
Hey all! I’m You-Jin Yeo (she/her/hers), a rising fourth year from Centreville, Virginia. I’m double majoring in Sociology and Psychology. After graduation, I’m looking into human resource/talent acquisition in a corporation and then coming back to higher education in student affairs such as being a dean in a university. At UVA, I’ve been a Women’s Leadership Development Program Alumnae and C.A.S.H. Volunteer Income Tax Associate in Madison House for three years. I have been an Administration & Recruitment Executive of Career Peer Educator Program in UVA Career Center for two years and have gotten to present workshops regarding career resources to student organizations and have drop-ins with peers one-on-one. Hit me up if you would like to know further information about career resources! I have also been a Prospective & Alumni Relations Chair in Asian Student Union for two years where I got to host an annual lunch with alumni and run a multi-day event for newly admitted Asian/Asian Pacific Islander Desi American students. During my spare time, I love to dance and have been performing in Korean Student Association events every semester. I also like to explore Charlottesville and check out underrated places. I’m a passionate food enthusiast and am so excited to share my food adventures with you all. This is my second summer as an Undergraduate Admission Office Intern, so feel free to connect with me or ask any questions at yy2he@virginia.edu!

No comments:

Post a Comment