Monday, June 1, 2020

Libraries: the Facts, the Memories, and (of course) the Naps

Here at UVA we have 12 different libraries. This may seem like a lot, but it’s honestly really convenient because it means that there is a different study space to fit every personality.

I always tell my tourists that you can tell a lot about a person by the library they choose to study in-- since you can’t visit them for yourself, you can take this quiz to determine which of the main UVA libraries you are!!


The atrium of Alderman Library, which is currently undergoing renovation.


The Facts

One of the best things about the UVA libraries, regardless of which one is your favorite, is that they are all connected by a great system of librarians and other resources to help you with whatever you might need.

First, there is always a librarian on call to answer your questions and help you find a specific resource you might need. You can even access this Ask a Librarian resource over school holidays and breaks; I know I used it over Thanksgiving break first year when I was frantically writing a paper and it was a lifesaver. The librarians are all incredibly helpful and want you to succeed. Many have even come to my classes to walk us through how to use the databases and conduct research at a college level.

Additionally, UVA uses a system called Virgo so that you can easily access materials that are both in the libraries and online. Through this Virgo database, thousands of books and articles are at your digital fingertips-- and you don’t even have to be a Virgo to use it ;) You can also use Virgo to request books that might not be physically at UVA, and the librarians will borrow the text from another institution and get it to you quickly so that you can use it for whatever project you’re working on.

Finally, the libraries also house a host of other resources that students can take advantage of, from study rooms that you can book and use for a group project to a 3D printing lab and Virtual Reality simulator that students can experiment with.


The first floor of Clemons Library, which serves as a silent study space.


The Memories

As cheesy as it might sound, one of the best parts of the library is getting to study and work with friends. 

Kelley: One of my favorite nights I’ve spent in the library was the Sunday after Thanksgiving break, right before the last week of classes. A group of my friends and I camped out on the fourth floor of Clemons library and Grubhubbed McDonald’s-- it took literally an hour to arrive and we were completely unproductive while we waited and finally we feasted on (cold) takeout, but it was the perfect way to come back to school and face the Sunday Scaries as we got ready for finals.



Sam: During my first year, my friends and I would go to the Media Center in Clem and mess around with the VR games they had there. It was the ultimate time killer, and we sometimes caused too much of a ruckus, but it’s one of the coolest things that the libraries can offer.  


Abby: When I took History of the Internet in the Media Studies department, our professor gave us extra credit to go to the Media Center in Clem and watch the movie “War Games” on a laserdisc. It was so cool to see all of the old technology they had and experience the movie in a different way, while being able to hang out with friends and earn some extra credit. 


Leah: One time my friends and I were out on the Corner on a Saturday night and we ran into some people who had picked up a lost phone. We didn’t know who owned it, but my friend Jimmy ingeniously used Siri to “call Mom” and figure out who did. We decided to take the phone to the Clemons library front desk, and told the librarian the name of the owner. I know this doesn’t actually have that much to do with studying, but I do think it reflects the trusty old honor code! When I am in the library, I often leave my computer or other belongings while running to Starbucks, and I trust that people will not only leave my stuff alone, but watch it for me!


Mia: I am a big night owl, like for some reason I can only do work when the sun is down. And for this reason I have an obsession with Clemons library! Clem has the best fluorescent lighting, so when you are scramming to write a paper the night before it is due you can’t tell that you have been working on it for hours. I also love Clem because you get to be around other night owls and make fun ~memories~. Like going to cookout at 4am, not really because anyone is hungry, but just because we are in need of ~adventurrrre~ and the sweet sweet taste of a milkshake.  


Jada: For some reason, I’m my most productive when I’m not in a library, so I know that whenever I do go to a library for a “study session”, I’m just going to be hanging out and making memories with my friends. One of my favorite memories happened during first year, during finals week. My RA hosted a study session in Clemons - which turned into a midnight snack run to the Corner, where I had Sheetz for the first time. It was a great stress reliever and fun way to bond with my hallmates before finals!


You-Jin: On days I know I have to stay up all night I head over to Clemons Library 2nd floor. Psychologically, your brain stays or attempts to stay wide awake if you are in a bright area, and the 2nd floor is full of white desks that brightly reflect lights which makes me never know if it’s night time. However, during my first year, I mostly went to Clark Library because it was the closest to my old dorm, Emmett. Clark was literally my second home. It was a great hang out spot for my group of friends. We hardly ever actually “worked” or “studied” there. 


Ben: One chilly November evening this past fall, I headed over to the Alderman stacks after a 3 hour AVP (a cappella) rehearsal in order to finish up a paper and study for a music theory test that was coming up later in the week. Since I work best in quiet environments, I love to study in the stacks, surrounded by bookshelves and creative doodles on the desks. After about an hour of writing, one of my friends texted me to come outside. Challah for Hunger, an international charity organization with a chapter at UVA, was selling freshly baked chocolate chip challah bread, a delicious surprise that brightened up my study session. A little bit later, a bunch of students gathered outside on the steps of Alderman to listen to Hoos in Treble, another a cappella group here on grounds, sing a few songs in order to promote their upcoming concert. What started as a stressful study session turned into a joyous evening filled with music, close friends, and warm challah, quickly turning into one of my favorite library memories from my second year.



The Naps

We wanted to close out our library blog post with a list of our favorite library napping spots-- because everyone can use a quiet place to rest sometimes.


Kelley: Booths on the second floor of Clem


Sam: McGregor Room couches for sleeping, GovDocs for studying, Cafe for socializing


Jada: Listening pods in the Music Library!!


You-Jin: During the day, any spot I found in Clark Library to sit and work was where I would take naps. I preferred open, public spaces for my safety (just in case). During the evening, since it would be less crowded, I looked for larger furniture to possibly lie down fully.







This is not a staged picture. I passed out and took a power nap around 4 A.M. However, without my knowing, my friends placed their trash on top of me during that time.

Abby: In the comfy chairs in the dome room of the Rotunda (as Jefferson intended for naps to be)


Ben: Clark stacks. Not because you want to nap there, but because it just happens.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment