Friday, June 8, 2018

Meet the Interns: Meet Ashley!

This week and next, we'll be posting a daily introduction to each of our fabulous Office of Admissions interns. These folks will be leading admissions tours this summer and are thrilled to meet & help prospective Hoos, both in-person and online. Please reach out to any or all of us with questions! We hope to see you on Grounds soon.

Hi everyone! My name is Ashley and I am a rising third year studying Kinesiology. I’m super excited to spend my summer in Charlottesville while interning in the Office of Admission. I can’t believe that I’m halfway through my time here at UVA so here’s a picture of me smiling through my sadness/pain/heartbreak.
Here are a few facts about me that tie into reasons why I love UVA:
  • I love a good sunset. Carter Mountain has a great view so I would highly recommend going to Thursday evening sunset series.
  • I love food but only recently started to enjoy cooking. I’m actually vegan so look out for my post coming up soon all about eating vegan at UVA. Charlottesville definitely has some great options so I can easily find a restaurant that my meat-eating friends will also enjoy.
I’m a big fan of Brazos Tacos. Also, avocado toast is a major staple in my diet. (My “recipe” is wheat toast, avocado, tomato, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and sometimes sprouts)
  • I love conspiracy theories. I won’t go into detail here but a few of my favorites are all about Mattress Firm, Britney Spears, and Avril Lavigne. There’s also a UVA related conspiracy theory that I recently became interested in but I’m only gonna say one word: bunker.
  • I love UVA basketball. To be completely honest, I wanted Devon Hall’s fathead. Sadly, it was in high demand so I settled for Jack Salt’s. (jk <3 you too Jack)
  • I went on Alternative Spring Break to the Grand Canyon this year. It was one of the best trips I’ve ever been on and I made some cool new friends.
One of the firefighters taught a few of us how to use a chainsaw. I learned that it’s much heavier than it looks and I should just generally stay away.
Pictures really can’t do it justice. Seeing a mountain goat while on a hike one day was truly one of the highlights.
  • I took an ENWR about memes my first year and haven’t been the same since. If you want to read my final paper just let me know.


  • I also took a class about Middle Eastern and South Asian film festivals. One of our homework assignments was to watch a few films at the Virginia Film Festival. I would have gone even if it wasn’t assigned so it didn’t feel like homework at all.
I saw two of the best films I have ever seen in my life (which is saying a lot because I’m kind of a snob when it comes to movies). The films were In Between (98% on Rotten Tomatoes) and Bending the Arc (100% on Rotten Tomatoes). I put a lot of trust in Rotten Tomatoes so you should definitely check those out.


I hope this post gave you some insight on a few fun things you can do while at UVA. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at amf3qp@virginia.edu. Looking forward to seeing you around grounds!


Cheers,


Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment